Best Protein Powder in India – Proteins are found throughout our body in skin, hair nails and many other body tissues. Our body requires 21 amino acids to function properly. Because our body does not store amino acids, it either makes them or obtains them from other sources. The amino acids that our body does not make are known as essential amino acids.
There are nine essential amino acids and these come from food sources. Protein is an essential macronutrient that is needed for our proper health. Macronutrients are nutrients that are needed in large quantities by the human body. There are many important functions that proteins have,
- The most important function of proteins is to build and repair damaged tissues. We need protein for proper growth and maintenance of our body. Since it is associated with the repair, people recovering from an illness usually require more amounts of protein.
- It aids in all the important reactions that take place in our bodies. Enzymes are proteins that catalyze various processes in our body.
- Proteins are associated with the strength and rigidity of the body. These proteins are manifested in the form of Keratin, Elastin, and Collagen. Keratin is found in hair, skin, and nails. Elastin is a highly flexible and elastic material which is found in the lungs, arteries, and other body tissues. Collagen is found in bone tendons and ligaments.
- Proteins provide energy for daily activities. They provide four calories per gram.
- They are involved in various processes like digestion, clotting of blood, contraction of muscles, transporting oxygen molecules, etc.
- They help in maintaining proper pH and water balance in our body.
Protein deficiency or insufficient intake of proteins can cause a variety of problems,
- Since proteins form the main part of skin, nails, and hair, lack of sufficient proteins can lead to thinning hair, skin problems, and dry and brittle nails.
- Since proteins help in building and repairing damaged cells, lack of protein can lead to slow healing of wounds, tissues, and other diseases.
- It can lead to malnutrition. Some nutrients can only be absorbed by the body with the help of proteins. When you don’t consume enough proteins, important nutrients like iron, zinc, and calcium are not absorbed by the body. Two of the serious diseases related to malnutrition are Kwashiorkor and Marasmus.
- Can lead to fatigue and muscle wasting.
- Can lead to anemia.
Best Protein Powder in India – Sources of Proteins
Different foods contain a variety of essential amino acids. A food is said to be high in protein if it contains a large proportion of essential amino acids. Animal proteins like chicken, egg, liver and beef are said to be proteins of high biological value because they consist of all the essential amino acids. Soya beans, legumes, beans and whole grains are also rich in proteins but some plant proteins do not contain all the essential amino acids.
In an everyday diet it is good to have a proper mix of plant and animal proteins. However there may be some people who do not eat meat like vegetarians and vegans or some who do not prefer meat. There may also be people who do not get enough protein in their diet everyday. Such people can take the help of protein supplements like protein powders.
Best Protein Powder in India – What are Protein Powders?
Protein powders are powders that are taken with water, milk, or any other liquid. Protein powders are processed from a variety of different ingredients, the main part of which is protein. In the simplest and most basic form, they come from milk or egg whites.
They can also come from other plant-based sources. They may contain other additives. Some of the ingredients found in protein powders are soya beans, potatoes, peas, vitamins, minerals, and caffeine. Protein powders can be a very good option for vegans, vegetarians, people who work out a lot, or those who do not get enough protein from natural sources.
- Taking protein powders can help in weight loss or weight management. They help people to feel fuller for long periods of time and thus eliminate overeating or frequent binges.
- Protein powders can help increase your protein intake. This can lead to many benefits like increased muscle mass, improved metabolism, mental clarity, and improved overall wellbeing.
Best Protein Powder in India – Types of Protein Powders
Whey Protein powder – Whey is a water-soluble milk protein. It belongs to the complete protein group and thus it contains all the 9 essential amino acids required by the human body. It is easily absorbed and is immensely popular among athletes and bodybuilders for its high protein value. Whey protein promotes the building up of muscles and helps in lowering blood pressure, lowering inflammation, and weight loss.
Best Protein Powder in India – Muscleblaze Whey Protein
Muscleblaze is one of the most popular sports nutrition and supplement brands in India. They specialize mostly in workout gear, protein supplements, powders, energy drinks, etc. They provide top-notch, high quality, and authentic products. Whey protein powder is one of their best selling products of all time.
- In Muscleblaze whey protein powder, whey protein isolate is the main source of protein. Whey protein isolate helps in building muscle mass and also helps in the recovery of muscles after long and tiring workouts. It is also concerned with wear and tear operations.
- One serving of Muscleblaze whey protein powder has 25 grams of proteins which accounts for almost half of the daily protein requirement.
- Serves three of the vital amino acids required by the body namely leucine, isoleucine, and valine. They are mainly associated with boosting muscle strength and recovery from muscle fatigue. They also contain glutamic acid which helps in nutrient transportation. It also helps to maintain a balance between the anabolic and catabolic state of the body.
- Comprises five essential enzymes – amylase, protease, lipase, and lactase. They enhance digestion and also help in the absorption of important nutrients by the body.
- Very good for both pre and post workouts.
- Easily digestible.
- Too much intake of whey protein can cause digestion issues and weight gain.
- Some people are allergic to whey protein.
- They are not suitable for lactose intolerant people or vegans and vegetarians.
Soy Protein Powder – Soy protein is a plant bases protein. It is one of the few plant-based proteins that contain all the essential amino acids and thus it is a good option for vegans and vegetarians. It has zero cholesterol and contains very little amounts of saturated fat. It helps in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases and also has other benefits like lowering blood pressure.
- Soy protein isolate is high in proteins and low in carbohydrates which helps you to lose weight in an effective manner.
- It provides all the nine essential amino acids required by your body.
- Very suitable for lactose-intolerant people. Soy protein is free from dairy and it also contains satisfactory amounts of calcium which is usually less in plant bases foods. So people who are allergic to dairy can opt for soy protein powders instead of whey protein powders.
Best Protein Powder in India – AS IT IS Soy Protein Isolate Powder
AS IT IS is a nutritional brand which delivers pure and quality products which are free from harmful preservatives, additives and flavours. Their products go through multiple quality testing procedures to ensure maximum purity. They specialize in nutritional foods, powders, supplements and gym accessories.
- One serving of this protein powder gives you 27 grams of protein which accounts for almost half of your daily protein requirement.
- Helps in promoting muscle growth and building muscle mass and strength.
- You can mix it with water or milk and take it as a pre-workout or post-workout meal. You can also mix it with dosa/idli batter, waffles, chapatti flour, soup, or oatmeal to enhance their protein content.
- Very affordable.
- Not very flavorful.
- Some people may find it difficult to digest soy protein and can lead to bloating issues or discomfort.
Hemp Protein Powder – This is also a plant-based protein powder making it an amazing choice for vegans, vegetarians, or those who are allergic to dairy. They help in regulating healthy cholesterol levels and also help to boost your metabolism. They contain other vitamins and minerals like vitamin E, calcium, iron, potassium, and magnesium.
Best Protein Powder in India – Health Horizons Hemp Protein Isolate Powder
Health Horizons is an ayurvedic and vegan nutrition brand which specializes mostly in plant-based nutrient sources like hemp, flax, and castor. They aim at bringing natural, naturally derived, high-quality supplements and products to the market.
- This hemp protein powder contains about 20 amino acids and also includes Arginine which is very important for the body. It is enriched with essential fatty acids which stimulate healthy digestion and maintains healthy cholesterol levels.
- It is a pure and plant-based product that is suitable for lactose-intolerant people.
- Hemp helps in preventing cardiovascular diseases, diarrhea, and hemorrhoids.
- Contains other nutrients like vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and chlorophyll.
- This protein powder is free from sodium and sugar.
- It is free from soy which is good for people who are allergic to soy.
- Can be used in a variety of forms and can be mixed with other foods.
- Hemp can have side effects like throat irritation and nausea. It can also cause bloating issues because of too much fiber.
- It does not have a very preferable flavor due to a lack of sugar.
Pea Protein Powder – Pea is an excellent source of the amino acid Arginine which helps in elimination of waste products from the body and also stimulates flow of blood. Pea protein powder can be used as an alternative to whey and soy protein powder.
Best Protein Powder in India – MYVEGAN Pea Protein Isolate Powder
MYVEGAN is a plant based nutrition and wellness company which manufactures and sells high quality gluten free, dairy free, and vegan products. Their products consist of supplements, protein powders, food and snacks.
- This protein powder is available in flavored and unflavoured versions. The flavors come in mango and chocolate.
- The unflavoured version offers 23 grams of protein per serving.
- This protein powder is suitable for vegans, vegetarians, and people allergic to gluten and dairy.
- Pea protein isolate is free from added flavors, sugars, and artificial additives.
- This protein powder consists of all nine essential amino acids.
- Helps to build muscle mass, strength, and boosts immunity.
- High-quality protein at an affordable price.
- Free from preservatives and added sugars.
- Not very flavorful.
Casein Protein Powder – Casein is a protein found in milk and other milk products. Casein has antibacterial properties and helps in boosting the immune system. It is digested slowly by the body. It also releases amino acids very slowly and is called a slow-release protein.
Best Protein Powder in India – MYPROTEIN Micellar Casein Powder
- This casein powder contains all the essential amino acids required by the body.
- This protein powder is available in flavored and unflavoured varieties. The flavored version has three flavors – chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla.
- One serving of MYPROTEIN micellar casein protein powder has 23 grams of protein.
- It is a suitable option for night time since casein is a slow-digesting protein.
- It is vegetarian and gluten free.
- It is very thick in consistency.
- It is also quite expensive.
Best Protein Powder in India – FAQ’s
Which protein powders are the most affordable?
If you want an affordable protein powder I suggest you go for AS IT IS protein powder.
Is it good to take protein powder before or after workout?
It depends on the person. If you have low energy in the morning and want to have something before you workout to get energy have it before your workout. If you don’t want to workout with something in your stomach then I suggest you take it post workout.
Which is better whey protein powder or soy protein powder?
If you are not vegetarian or vegan whey protein powder would be a good option for you. They also tend to be more flavorful. If you don’t prefer dairy I suggest you go for soy protein powders.